Sunday, October 14, 2007

Suicide Pools predictions.

We started something this week (actually, I initiated it: go me!), namely two suicide Pools. Before you get alarmed, Suicide Pools are where you pick a winner to one game (usually in the NFL), and if that team wins you make it to the next week. Last man standing wins. As an added curveball, you can only pick an NFL team once.

So, we're doing that, as well as one for our own league (without the one-pick rule, since predicting Fantasy Football is notoriously difficult.)

Anyway, just in case you want to root for me more than you normally do, I picked Philadelphia to beat the NY Jets in the NFL pool, and the Ferret Freedom Alliance to beat Up in hot llamas in our own league.

Speaking of the Ferret Freedom Alliance, I left a message on the Board asking the team owner where the team name came from (since one of you asked). This is what he replied:

Hype,

The Ferret Freedom Alliance (FFA) was formed out of the firm belief that all ferrets should be released from their captivity as pets. The FFA has a contract with a collective body of several lobbying groups.

The FFA has promised to win the SFL Championship Game in Week 16 of the SFL season. This will allow the FFA players to receive millions of dollars in product endorsements, eighty percent of which will be donated to the lobbying groups.

In return, the lobbyists have vowed to force Congress to make it illegal to own ferrets in the United States. When the FFA wins the SFL Championship, that day shall be known as "Ferret Freedom Day" (F-Day) and all ferrets shall henceforth be free of captivity.

Think about it: Ferrets are cute, cuddly, energetic, and playful. If all ferrets were set free at the same time it would be like one giant party! It might even bring World Peace!


Okay then! As for my Philly pick, I made it early in the week so I wouldn't be compromised by the other people's picks, but that was an awful decision. By Sunday morning I'm wishing I'd picked Arizona over Carolina. Oh well.

As for the regular game, I'm going up against the only undefeated team in the league, Johnny Utah. On paper I feel like I have a better overall team. I've scored 580.8 points (tops in the leauge), while the Jack Mormons have scored 513.2 (which is still third.)

In the Shadow Championship (where we take our scores and simulate as if we played everyone in the league every week), I'm 46-9, far and away the best, while Jon Jon SLC is only 33-22 (again third, although to a different team). Johnny Utah seems to be the second best all-around team, but the crucial difference is that he's 5-0 with a 2 game lead in his division (Old Springfield), whereas I'm 4-1 with only a 1 game lead in my division (New Springfield). So if I don't come through over the weekend, even if I keep my Shadow Championship status, it's all for nought.

Go me!

No comments: