Sunday, October 21, 2007

Romeo and Juliet for Cats

There's a program on the National Geographic Channel called Planet Carnivore. Have you seen it? Totally awesome. The episode I watched last night was about these lions. It was brutal and beautiful at the same time.

For example, they showed what happens when a male takes over a pride. He immediately hunts down and kills all the cubs that are not his. I knew that happened, but I've never seen it before. (Speaking of which, how is it that lions can tell at a glance whether a cub comes from them, but humans cannot?)

Also, the bigger the mane the more impressive the lion, which makes sense, but also the darker. Humans tend to think the golden manes are so pretty, but I guess it's true what they say about black-maned lions....



Anyway, so I was watching these lions last night and I got this idea. The male lion Morani was huge! (500 pounds), which is almost as big as a siberian tiger. But it would be dwarfed by a liger. So I was thinking, what if a siberian tiger and an African lion had a romance (Romeo and Juliet style), and produced this liger, which would lead the cats on to glory or something?

I totally want to write this story now. But I don't want to do it alone. Anyone interested?

No comments: