Friday, October 12, 2007

Just how old are the people who move to Phoenix?

Yesterday the Arizona Diamondbacks hosted the Colorado Rockies in the first game of the National League Championship Series. Much was made (in the sports world, at least), that Arizona couldn't sell out this game. Perhaps partly because of this, Arizona fans overreacted to a tough call in the 7th inning, when one of their runners was called out for interference. It was unequivocally a correct call, but the end result had a runner on second with two outs instead of runners at the corners with one out.

Anyway, I always like looking at local press coverage of things, so I pulled up the Denver Post online and the Arizona Republic. Denver's virtual "front page" had all sorts of stories about the Rockies.

The Arizona Republic, though, had nothing. You had to go all the way to sports to get the story. (That alone seems to indicate something, although I don't know what.)

I suppose if that's all that happened, it would be worth a blog post. However, something else happened that just cracked me up. I tried to read an article on the game on the Arizona site. I was asked for some information, and for some reason that made me feel ornery. (Maybe it was because I had just learned the Al Gore information.) Under year of birth I typed in "1867."

Not an acceptible year of birth, I was told. Stubbornness made me stay low, and I went year by year until I got to 1880, which was accepted.

So, just to recap, If I were in my 127th year, that's okay, but 128th year: no paper for you!!!

No comments: