Thursday, October 04, 2007

The Graitch to end all Graitches

We made Graitch last night.

But this wasn't just any ordinary Graitch.

It wasn't even super-Graitch.

This Graitch hath taken life from the Cosmos, and is now a living thing.

We took 2 packages of Grape Jello, 2 packages of Peach, 1 package of Wild Strawberry and 1 of Blackberry Fusion, a combination of blackberry and raspberry.

This was supposed to be dissolved in 6 cups of boiling water, but I cheated and did it in 3. The smell was so heavenly, and it got me to thinking: why do they not scent pools with the peach jello powder smell? That would help cut into chlorine.

Anyway, for the remaining nine cups of liquid, I used 4 cups of ginger ale and 5 cups of grape soda.

At this point the Graitch looked like something about of Ghostbusters, swirling and frothing and refusing to abate its foamy wonder. On a whim I tasted the foam, and friends: I saw the face of god.

The foam burst in my mouth like true pop-rocks, burning and soothing me with flavor all at the same time. A mad thought came to my mind: forget making Graitch: drink this! Luckily I was strong.

I started adding the fruit. This was a slow process, for the crockpot we were using was dangerously full, and I seriously doubted my ability to get it all in. I added:

6 plums diced up
A quart of strawberries sliced up
5 nectarines
2 mangos so huge that Dolly Parton would blush.

I really wish now we'd taken a picture of the resulting monstrosity. Jerrica said it was like a candle.

The taste?

You wouldn't even believe me if I told you. In fact, the Graitch was so flipping good that I would seriously consider not putting any fruit in at all, so I could just taste the ambrosia-gelatin that came out. (Or possibly a couple of pints of fresh blueberries and a couple of pints of fresh raspberries. With 6 packages of jello, they'd be more like a highlight than a main part.)

I'm not saying this Graitch is the greatest thing ever created in the history of human kind, but it's close.

No comments: