Saturday, October 13, 2007

Cleveland hates old people

In what might be the most random thing ever, for the second time in two days I was forced to enter my "age" in an online newspaper. They track those stats.

Yesterday I was looking into the Arizona Republic, and I felt cantankerous when asked my age, so I put 1867, which was considered no good. I kept going up on year until I got to 1880, which was okay. You know how old those folks are in Phoenix, I joked.

Well, just now I had to look at the Cleveland Plain Dealer, trying to find out if Jamal Lewis is injured. I was again asked to put my age, and tried 1880. No dice. I had to go all the way up to 1901 before they would accept me.

1901!

Look, you could argue that it's not reasonable to conclude that someone was born in 1867. But surely there are 107 year olds out there! How can people born in 1900 be denied the award-winning journalism of the Cleveland Plain Dealer?

I feel like writing a strongly worded letter.

More updates as I continue to stumble across this age discrimination in our nation's newspapers.

No comments: