Friday, July 14, 2006

100 Hours of Solitude

It’s the height of idiocy to risk a jinx and write about this before it’s all completed, but when have I ever not made weight to fight at full Idiot?

For reasons I’m not yet able to articulate (no pun intended), I have wanted to stop talking for some time. I had tentative plans to go one day a week without it, but that didn’t materialize.

Lately the urge has been stronger, but several relatives have been visiting us, and that makes life pretty tough. Finally I got to the point where I told myself I’d hang on until they left, and then quit talking.

So yesterday at 8:57 am I quit talking.

At the time I wasn’t sure for how long, but immediately the number 100 came into my head, as in 100 hours. It seemed fitting, and I could emulate my favorite Latin Writer (Marquez) when I was done.

Sadly, about two hours later I realized I had library books due today (Friday), and I couldn’t ask to use the car without a big hassle (my mom is not happy with the plan), and even if I did, not speaking at the library would cause me even more problems. So, sucking it up I called in to renew my books (only to find out I couldn’t renew the book I care the most about! Hatred), and started over at 11:37 am.

If I make it 100 hours that puts me at Monday afternoon.

I have no idea if I can make this work. I live with three people, and so far I’ve largely avoided them, but I see my dad being very unhappy about this. Question: will I stick to my guns?

I also have a girlfriend I talk to every day, although at the moment she’s being supportive (but you never know with chicks).

So far I am exactly 20 hours in, and doing great. My sister came home this morning and talked to me. At first she was sad I didn’t talk back, but like most girls she really just wants to talk anyway, and with some prodding of my note cards she opened up. I felt like Homer in that episode where his jaw is wired shut.

I’ve been IMing and emailing, and Lady Jane questioned whether that was cheating. Perhaps, but one thing at a time. At least THIS time, I am not trying to cease communication, but ceasing speech, to see what it does for me.

I’ll give updates on Alligator Pit throughout the weekend as to how I’m doing.

No comments: