Wednesday, June 07, 2006

When I'm down so low, if I cheered up, I'd still be depressed

I've been real down the last couple of days. First I was disappointed that I couldn't get more people to read the columns last Friday on sexual violence. I know people have their reasons, but it frustrates me that I can't seem to get over the ennui and make people care.

I guess I'm just Captain Bringdown.

Then there was my review of IRREVERSIBLE. This has caused a firestorm of controversy, both from quarters I would have expected and from places I wouldn't have. What I can't fathom is that more people read that review, which I don't think would have been very fun to read at all, than both columns from Friday.

This is especially significant because my movie reviews are the least-read thing I do. Every day the numbers are anemic, to the point where I've questioned whether to get rid of them completely.

Maybe I should put them all on HyperionX, and talk about them graphically.

Then there's the thing with Egan and his blog. I may or may not write a column about it. He wrote about seeing a potential jumper on an overpass and calling the police, and what the best way to handle it was. I didn't read the other comments, but brought up the question of whether it was right to call or not.

This has led to me reexamining the issue, and old feelings of friends, etc.

Sigh.

I'll get out of this funk. You know what I need? Some good ''80s music, and some wraps. I noticed my dad bought tortillas, which we haven't had in weeks, and they're cheese tortillas. I've never had them; very excited. Hmm...... I just realized I haven't eaten in many hours. I definitely need to go eat before I make any more writing decisions. Now what to put in the wraps?

1 comment:

Tracy Lynn said...

Thought you ought to know that I hadn't read it , but only because I spent the whole day out of the house.

One of the things I admire most about you is your willingness to approach serious topics. And to do so with a level of critical thought that is so often lacking in today's society.

That's right, I said I admire you. Don't let it go to your head.