Friday, June 02, 2006

I need like an advisory panel with me at all times

When I first told a couple of friends about today, I said something like, "...and we end the week with Sexual Violence Friday!"

I didn't get quite the response I wanted, but nobody explained to me my faux pas. I guess they thought I was trying to be funny. (While I get quite up in arms about the subject of sexual violence, I am on record as saying there is no subject on earth that can't be joked about in certain circumstances. Obviously I wouldn't go to a convention of abuse survivors and kid about when Dakota Fanning comes of age, but that doesn't make it unfunny. I seriously believe that funny is funny, though one must exhibit sensitivity. Of course, I also believe that one "earns" the right to tell certain jokes. For example, if I knew some guy who really go did for young girls, I probably wouldn't think his joking was funny at all. Maybe I'm being self-righteous here because of my strong stance. I'm totally an enigma.)

Anyway, back on subject, it took me like three days to realize that "Sexual Violence Friday" sounds like a sick promotion, and definitely doesn't get the point across. I'm going to unprecedented lengths (for me) to get this out today, and the last thing I want to do is strike the wrong tone.

Sexual Violence Awareness is a better fit, but there are still risks. I'm kind of nervous about response, but at the same time, you only live once. My readers, my place on the web; none of that matters compared to the mission of educating people on what's going on right in front of their noses.

To get back on my soap box for a moment, I think in a way my refusal to make sexual violence a sacred cow (meaning you can never joke ever) is my way of combating the sanctity of the subject. Obviously we're talking about something that devastates a life, often forever, and can have far-reaching impact for generations. It's a serious serious thing, the most important moral issue in our society.

At the same time, because of this, there is a huge push not to talk about it at all, and that is something up with which I will not put. I don't mind the occasional bad taste if it gets the subject raised and gets people talking about it. And I for damn sure don't care how uncomfortable I make people.

Well, that's not completely true. My heart breaks for victims of sexual violence, and I don't want to cause more pain for them. Even so, I will risk bringing up a painful subject if some sort of traction can be made. And as for the rest of the world, I will slap you silly if I think it can help. If you believe in the mission, go out and slap some people yourself.

Sigh.

That's the bravado. Now let's see how it plays out.

No comments: