Monday, November 12, 2007

Perhaps I'm just an Idiot.

Okay, so maybe this has already occurred to you, and heck: maybe it has already occurred to me and I just forgot it, but I thought of something yesterday that sort of floored me.

We were talking (for some reason) about apples. My brother Achmed was telling the story about how Christian Bale became an apple fanatic when he was losing weight for his role in THE MACHINIST. (Bale was a big fan of Pink Lady apples.) It turns out there are over 7500 different kinds of apples, (Which raises the question: why are we always stuck with Red Delicious at the store? But that's another question.)

Anyhoo, I was thinking about apple types, and one of them is Macintosh. Then I was thinking about how Macintosh is a type of computer. More than that, Macintosh is a type of Apple computer.

And the two thoughts converged in this weird way, and in my head the thought rang out, "Apple called their new computers (well, new in 1984) Macintosh because Macintosh is a type of apple!"

This is one of those bits of knowledge that comprises two bits of data that I previously knew, but somehow never thought of.

My family started laughing at me for how obvious that thought was, but as the conversation went on, they admitted they had never really thought about it either.

The only thing that has ever come close to this situation is when it suddenly occurred to me one day that "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" was the same tune as "A-B-C-D-E-F-G." It's just one of those things. I have known both songs since I was a kid, and I guess I knew the tunes were the same, but somehow I never made the connection.

Maybe this happens to a lot of people, and maybe I (usually) make connections faster, so this is significant because these are two of the only times this has happened to me, but I still felt, well, struck.

What about you? Had you made the Macintosh/Apple connection? Am I just an idiot? And what other examples can you think of?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Not only are you an idiot, but you are 7500 kinds of idiot.