Sunday, May 28, 2006

Reaction to TV finales

I finally saw the LOST finale early this morning, and this evening I saw Season 2 Battlestar Galactica Finale. Except for My Name is Earl (which doesn't really count, as a comedy), this catches me up. I think I may do a top ten list of Season Finales, if not this year (haven't seen enough) then all-time.

Brief thoughts: (SOME POSSIBLE SPOILERS AHEAD)

Alias and West Wing - Once proud shows that got so far off track even I had to bail. I may catch the final seasons on DVD some day, but the whole thing makes me sad. My dad tells me West Wing ended well, at least. Sniff sniff.

The Unit - I enjoyed the show, and at times (read: David Mamet-written and directed episodes) The Unite went from good to great. But the finale was weak and I'm unsure what they are going to do with this show. They seem caught between procedural and serialization, the new Hybrid, and that's tough ground to straddle.

Grey's Anatomy - I got out of this show in February. I enjoyed it more and more each week, but I was trying to cut as much TV down as possible, and I cut all of Sunday night. I did see the finale. Izzy drives me nuts, and I hate George's hair cut. Never did like Meredith.

CSI - I've already written extensively about this one.

Prison Break - I lost a good deal of interest in the show once it came back from hiatus, but I have to say the finale was very well done. I was shocked that they (apparently) killed the doctor with the OD. I figured she'd be in the break. My dad thinks they didn't kill her and she'll still be a big player next season. Hard to know if they can keep the momentum, but I wish them well.

24 - I've written about this too, and how a jerk ruined it for me. I got quite a lot of mail on the decision about whether to tell his wife of his infidelity. Ajax in particular was strongly against my actions. Ajax pointed out to me that if I knew the girl personally, felt strongly about the sanctity of marriage or felt the family was in emotional harm that'd be one thing, but just as revenge...that's quite a wrecking ball to throw on a marriage.

He's right, of course. I don't know the wife, but wish her no ill will, and to do something like that just because I'm pissed over a TV show would be wrong; not because it's too stern of a reaction (for all I'm concerned the guy can drop dead, and if he's reading this: "If you ever mess with me again I will ruin your life"), but because I'm hurting that girl who did nothing to me. I was never really going to do it, I was just mad when I wrote that and that's what a blog is supposed to be: your honest reactions to your daily life. Don't know if I'll watch the finale now or not.

House - I wrote about this earlier in the week but didn't post my thoughts. Sometimes when I don't protect myself when I write, and lay myself out there, vulnerable. I mean, to make yourself vulnerable is the only way to become a better writer, but I need to be more careful. So I'll leave it at this: not a normal episode, but very impressive to me. If you haven't watched House I can't recommend buying or renting Season 1 highly enough.

Battlestar Galactica - I have been so impressed with the dark tone this series has taken from the beginning ,and the willingness to hurt their characters emotionally and physically. It really feels like they are experiencing war and the bad decisions that go with it, more than playing out their roles.

That said, I haven't liked every move they've made, although mostly that's because as a fan you get in your mind where you'd like the story to go. All you can really ask is that the writing and acting is good and the stories fresh and compelling. The finale threw a huge left curve toward the end, but when the end reveal came I could see what they're trying to set up. Season 2 was inferior to Season 1 (perhaps because of more episodes = thinner storylines?), but still better than most else out there. I must write a MovieHype about the DVDs soon.

LOST - Blood and Bloody ashes, there simply is nothing on TV like Lost, is there? When it's all said and done, I think watching Season 2 of Lost straight through on DVD will make it as good if not better than Season 1. The problem is that Lost is so dense, with so many layers and hidden meaning, that you really need to watch it consistently. ABC ran so many repeats, and without much logic, that it was hard to pick up a rhythm. They'd run three repeats and then a new one, and then two more repeats and then a new one. Can't do that with Lost. Hopefully Season 3 will take care of that, as they are running 7 straight in the fall, then going on hiatus for a new show until February or so, then running straight through again.

Anyway, the finale: I've talked to a few who felt, well, lost, but I didn't have that problem. Yes, many more questions than answers were raised, but if you examine where we are now to where we were at the beginning of the season, an extraordinary amount of plot has transpired in what I keep reminding myself is only about 2 months of actual island-time.

Giving Desmond's backstory was a brilliant masterstroke to explaining the hatch (at least, partly), and that "partner" of his...did you notice that was the guy who interrogated Sayid? And how did Desmond's girl know to look for him? Does someone else know he's there? Is that girl's father connected to the Hanso Foundation and Dharma?

Speaking of the Hanso, I was fast forwarding through the commercials, so almost missed it, but did you see the Hanso commercial? It was (http://hansocareers.com/) and I think there is also a Hanso Foundation (http://www.thehansofoundation.org/). The creators of Lost have gone to so much trouble to dribble out facts. I love it; just wish I had more time.

Anyway, even if it's maddening, Lost was hands-down the best final of the this season. Slow-building and yet explosive. Tense and exciting, advancing the plot an absurd degree (for them), and yet leaving so many questions I can hardly wait for fall.

I just hope I have a TV by then.

No comments: