Monday, May 22, 2006

Rashomon

I got RASHOMON in the mail on Thursday, but didn’t get to watch it until just now. Normally I like to watch the movies as soon as possible, so I can get them back in the mail and get another film, but Friday I was too tired to watch it, and with Monday a fake holiday up here, I knew I had until tomorrow.

RASHOMON is a Kurosawa film. So far I’ve only seen RAN, although I taped SEVEN SAMURAI and THRONE OF BLOOD, but have had no time. I know of the book Rashomon and how it has entered the lexicon of public consciousness, but had never seen the film.

I’ll write a few review up later this week, but suffice it to say I was totally blown away. I’m still a bit upset about Barbaro and my connection to him, but that didn’t stop me from goggling at the film. I watched the last half hour with commentary from some film big shot, and I honestly think it made me enjoy things even more, as the dude pointed out tons of things I missed. I can’t wait to watch the rest.

No comments: