Thursday, July 17, 2008

The Heart Asks Pleasure First.

My mom discovered Pandora, which is an online music station that allows you to tailor the type of music you want to hear (although not the actual song). She leaves it on all the time; having never quite figured out the difference between "Switch Users" and "Log Off."

Anyscootch, I had to use the computer, and her music was playing. No big deal; I only planned on being there a moment. However, this song came on that absolutely transfixed me. It was so familiar, but I couldn't figure out from where I had heard it.

Finally I had to log on to her account. (I know the password, not from nefariousness, but because I frequently am called upon to fix whatever technological shenanigans she's gotten herself into.)

The song was called "The Heart Asks Pleasure First," by Michael Nyman, which still wasn't registering, but at least I knew it.

Then it hit me: it was from the soundtrack to THE PIANO. I instantly found the video on You Tube, and have listened to it at least 150 times since. (For realz.)

I just looked up the score to find out --astoundingly--it didn't get nominated for an Oscar. One cannot really get mad that SCHINDLER'S LIST won Best Original Score. I have that CD; it's amazing, and rips my heart out every time. I likewise cannot fault THE REMAINS OF THE DAY and THE AGE OF INNOCENCE getting nominations. If memory serves they were well done as well.

But while I'm sure THE FUGITIVE and THE FIRM have great scores, in fact I know they do (especially THE FUGITIVE), no one can seriously claim the scores are better than THE PIANO. I have that CD as well, and I used to listen to it constantly. Almost every song is home run quality. Bastards.

At least you can listen to "The Heart Asks Pleasure First." Sounds like a great title for a poem. Maybe I'll write it this weekend.

No comments: