Sunday, December 02, 2007

Journalism is a proud profession

There is a war raging in Iraq, and Afghanistan increasingly becomes a problem. The border is an issue, no matter what side of the debate you are on. The weak dollar, the stock market correction, instability in Pakistan, you name it, there are many stories out there.

So what does my local paper choose to make their front page story? It's Sunday, which means they've had time to work on this story, to develop it, highlighting what they will. Is it a thought piece on the Environment? No. The soldiers (we are right next to Fort Benning) perhaps away from their families this Christmas? No. Any of the things I mentioned above? The political race for president? No and no.

What, then?

Top story was a in-depth report on what to look for when buying a large-screen tv. Plasma vs. LCD, 720 vs. 1080 (and don't forget 1080i vs. 1080p), and of course don't forget which DVD player to get too: HD-DVD or Blu-Ray.

What's worse, I read the article. I, who could not buy a TV Guide if my life depended on it, read about big-screen televisions.

I suck.

The paper sucks.

This whole country sucks.

No comments: