Tuesday, September 12, 2006

The Wonder Years

The Wonder Years started yesterday on TvTropolis. Even though it was a day of mourning, I felt like it was okay to watch the first episode. It's such a great one, and that shot at the end, when Arnold finds Winnie in the woods and puts his NY Jets jacket over her shoulders, and then they kiss in the fading light of day, is the most iconic of the entire show.



I'm very surprised no one has ever tried this set up again. Well, maybe they have, and it just sucked. I don't see why, though. If done correctly, who wouldn't want to see their childhood reflected in a coming-of-age heartfelt sitcom, complete with "if I'd only known then" voiceover?

And by the way, Daniel Stern doesn't get nearly enough credit for his Older Kevin. He may suck as an actor, but that was some Morgan Freeman-level voice over work.

(Last year I ranked the best "pilots" of all time. See if The Wonder Years made the cut.)


No comments: