Monday, November 03, 2008

Injury Update #473

I decided to start numbering these injury updates, more for my own grim amusement than any reader value.

It's been something like 17 days since this current cycle of crippledness. I am beyond hoping it will be a quick thing, and am now praying for the 4-6 week length, which I have had before. (Worse is the 3-4 month length. I cannot handle that.)

The worse part is that one day I will think it's getting good enough to almost walk, but then the next day the pain is through the roof. At this point the swelling on the outside is gone. The only physical remains are what feels like a bruise on the inside half of the upper foot/ankle, and of course the ever-present pain.

Why is this important? Well, about three days in I managed to take a 20 minute car ride, but since then I have not left the house. Countless books at the library have come and gone. I waited sometimes months for these books, but they only give you five days. But that's not the most important thing.

Voting.

If only I'd known, I'd have asked for a paper ballot, but I think you had to ask by October 6, and I never have any clue this is coming. Anyway, my parents have both early voted, and reported 90 minute wait times. That doesn't look promising, but still, I may go by the courthouse (or wherever it is) and see.

If not, that leaves Tuesday.

Here's the problem. Waiting in line. I can hobble, more of less, though I will pay a price for it. I'm pretty sure I can get to the car, and probably drive over there. (It's my sister's first time voting, so she's going with me.)

Once there, though, there may be a wait. Standing more than a minute is pretty much unbearable, and sitting is not much better. I can probably sit for ten minutes with my legs down, but after that.....

What makes matters more complicated is that our voting area has a lot of older people, who might want a chair as much as I. Plus, most of our area is Black. I mention this only because the prediction is record turnout in the Black community. Which could mean gigantic wait times to vote. Which means this could become a very dangerous matter for me.

Even more complicated is my need for a paper ballot, but we can talk about that another time.

1 comment:

Lady Jane Scarlett said...

I hope you can get out and vote, is there a fold-able chair you can bring with you?
But, take care of your bod foremost.