Thursday, October 16, 2008

Canadian Thanksgiving



We celebrated Canadian Thanksgiving Monday night. Why? Well, we used to live in Canada, and wanted to honor our time there.

Actually, it was more an excuse to have a nice meal, but that works for me.

It was all Jerrica's idea, and she set the meal up, planned it, and even paid for it. Then, come Monday, it looked like all plans were off, as our oven didn't work. (Actually, this wouldn't have been too big a deal, since--as I have detailed on these pages before--Canadians are pretty liberal about when they celebrate their holidays.)

But my dad got the right oven part (a coil? maybe. I have no knowledge of these things), and we got to celebrate.

Jerrica made:

Parmesan Garlic Mashed Potatoes

Green Bean Casserole with the French Onion topping

Rolls (from the store, but baked anyway)

Pumpkin AND Pecan Pie

Sparking grape juice (as well as 7-Up and Ginger Ale)

and for the main course....

A Chicken/Stuffing/Gravy dish. I don't know what you call it, but it's fantastic. I tell you the truth: I might like it better than turkey. Well, maybe not, but when you consider how much easier it is to make and how often the turkey gets all dried out (and how everyone in my family but my brother steals the white meat), maybe the chicken/stuffing/gravy thing is the way to go.

It was a great meal, and thanks to Jerrica!

1 comment:

Lady Jane Scarlett said...

Yum!
Please post some recipes!