Monday, August 04, 2008

And Speaking of Women taking credit.....

In my last post I mentioned how Kaida would probably try and take credit for my great deadpan line. This comes from a conversation I had with my sister years ago.

The Da Vinci Code was big in the news, and Jerrica wanted to know about the historical possibility of Jesus being married.

We were discusssing the various issues therin, for example:

What historical evidence there may or may not be that Jesus was married.

What historical evidence there may or may not be that Jesus was not married.

What theological problems might or might not be posed by such a marriage.

What theological problems might arrise if Mary Magdalene was given prominence over Peter.

What theological problems might arise if Jesus and Mary Magdalene had a dynastic line.


Anyway, it was a fine old conversation, but about the time I was telling Jerrica about the Merovingian Kings, a thought struck me. This led to anothe thought, and another, and suddenly I was seeing a movie in my head. (I tend to get ideas in movie-scenes.)

The idea was far removed from the discussion of Jesus and the Merovingian Line. If I had to plot the course of my thought it would be something like A --> C --> L --> 8 --> & --> etc.

You get the idea. Like all inspiration, and especially my brain, the thoughts were all over the place. The final idea wasn't even tangentially related to the discussion.

However, this did not dissuade Jerrica. Seeing on my face an amazing idea, she immediately demanded that the book (be it a book) be dedicated to her or the movie (be it a movie) include a juicy part for her, all thanks to her inspiration.

This is hogwash. Jerrica had nothing to do with the idea, and to this day can't even begin to tell me what it is. (The only person I've ever told is Quincy.) Nonetheless, whenever this comes up, Jerrica shouts at the top of her lungs,

"I was in the room!"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

From this moment on let my words ring out across the Hyperion Nation: I inspired the idea! I was not only in the room I was there for every part of the discovery process, and dare I say it would not have happened without me there.