Friday, March 09, 2007

Papa John's

[I had a problem with Papa John's the other night. Unable to resolve it, I went online and wrote what happened. There was no room on the website for spacing, so this is how it came out:]

I am writing to tell you about my experience two evenings ago with Store #208. I wanted to order a half and half pizza, for carryout. This was about 10:15 p.m. I said carryout at the beginning of the phone call, but was not told that part was closed until later, which could happen to anyone, but in light of everything else....I wanted to get half and half, but with a special request. On one half of the pizza, I wanted them to leave the toppings off one fourth, so in effect you'd have one half, say Hawaiian, and one half part sausage and part cheese. I realize this is unorthodox but there are dietary/allergy concerns in my family, and this was the only way we could do it. I worked in a pizza place years ago and I know it's feasible to do something like this. Also, whenever we ordered from Pizza Hut and explained matters there was never any problem. I guess we should have ordered from Pizza Hut again, but my family wanted Papa John's, and we've never had a problem in all the places we've ordered from before. First of all, the person answering the phone was inattentive at best, lazy at worst. He seemed to know absolutely nothing about the product, and utterly unsympathetic with my concerns. At the drop of a hat he would pass me to someone else who barely listened before brusquely telling me this was impossible, as the policy was half and half only. I realized that, but explained that what I was asking for would actually save them pizza toppings, and if the manager told the cook directly should not be a problem. Finally the intermediary passed me to a manager, but his English was so mumbled that I thought he was actually answering a cell phone. When the manager finally came on he said hello twice quickly (which I thought was the cell phone), and then hung up. Of course I initially thought this was on purpose, and called back to find out what was the deal and if we could work it out. At this point the manager told me in no uncertain terms he could not do it, mostly because of how slammed they were. I found this reasoning silly, as I drove by ten minutes later on my way to another pizza place and the Papa John's in question looked deserted. My main concern is how little anyone tried to understand what I was asking for and seek to come up with a solution. After all, I'm giving business, and as we are new here and plan to say for some time, this would be repeat business over the weeks and months. Nobody cared or ever once seemed remotely interested in trying to make it work. Perhaps more galling, though, was the attitude, as if I were scamming or inconveniencing them for asking for this simple request. What I want to know from all of you is whether this was an isolated incident, a store having a very bad night, or more indiciative of how things are at #208. Like I said, my family prefers Papa John's, and this was a celebration of something, and we really wanted that pizza, but after the experience I'm wondering if we're not better off going somewhere else. We eat pizza 1-2 times a week, and I surely don't want to go through all of that again. Thanks for your time. Sincerely, Hyperion

[I'll update if they ever get back to me]

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

They probably looked deserted because all the drivers were out on runs, leaving very few people inside to make most likely a very large number of pizzas. No customers were there because they don't do carryouts that late. Also, Papa John's never divides a pizza into anything smaller than halves, as far as toppings are concerned. It -is- their policy. If another pizza place is able to make your pizza the way you would like it, just order from them. Simple.

Hyperion said...

What are you, like paid by Papa John's to troll the web and refute people who are ticked?

I know it's their policy not to do less than half for toppings, the guy told me pretty clearly. You didn't need to repeat it. (Like, oh, Thora made that so much clearer.)

The point is that it's a stupid policy. I worked for Pizza Hut once and have friends who work for Papa Johns. There is no logistical reason why they couldn't have made an exception, especially when I explained the situation. I wasn't asking them to send me hookers, but to put toppings on slightly differently one time.

And I love the advice at the end. "If another pizza place is able to make your pizza the way you would like it, just order from them. Simple."

Wow. That's fantastic advice. You mean, if I don't like something, I should go somewhere else? Did you read that in a book? Where did you come up with it?

Sometimes there is nothing you can do about a restaurant or store. If I don't like Papa's pizza sauce, there is nothing I can do. I order somewhere else.

However, late at night with only one pizza delivery in the area, you go with them, which I had no problem with, since I like their pizza.

And if I'd wanted them to make me pizza with lemongrass, they wouldn't do it because they don't have lemongrass.

But I didn't ask for anything onerous. They'd have made a customer for life and had me telling people about the nice service. I know when people really can't do something and when they are just being dicks.

I don't care what they pay you, Thora, you need to know: sometimes people are just dicks.

Anonymous said...

Well, I run a business and sometimes some customers are just more of a headache than a few dollar profit are worth. Sorry, but you just have to move on.

Policy is policy and if you don't like it find a business that has a policy that works for you.