Monday, March 09, 2009

Lentils Update

An update on my goal to give up 7 things for Lentils.


CHIPS - They are all over the house, so there has been some frustration, especially the other day when I had Subway (love Love LOVE to put chips in my sandwiches), but overall not too bad.


SUGAR SODA
- Piece of Cake, although I kinda feel that I okie-doked Lentils. I've been drinking a lot of iced tea lately, the idea was more to give up sugar in beverages than mere soda. Still...Rome wasn't built in a day.


GAMES ON THE COMPUTER
- Shockingly easy. I spent a lot of time doing online jigsaw puzzles (while listening to podcasts, or to just give me time to think), but I have been able to use podcast "downtime" more constructively, and the less thinking I do, perhaps the better .


BEEF JERKY
- Not that tough, and I have some not five feet from my bed. Part of it may be that I had been on overload in the weeks leading up to Lentils.


PAIN MEDICINE
- My family Vetoed this virtually on Day 1, for them more than even me. I ended up relenting (I'm nothing if not reasonable), and substituting "Using the Socratic Method to Teach." I FIRMLY believe that if you puzzle something out--even with help--you'll learn better, but I have to admit there is probably part of me that just likes lording knowledge over people, so until Lentils is over, I have been trying not to make people guess or work it through. (But I am right that it's better. Lazy people......)


RE-RUNS ON TV - This one is so tough! I haven't sat down to watch any program, butI realized that's not really how I watch re-runs. I tend to do five minutes here or there, or between commercials, and a couple of times I have caught a minute or two, arguing with myself if I have actually "seen" the episode or not. Biggest regret: not making a Simpsons exception.


FAST FOOD
- Murder. Absolute murder. The other day I took my sister to Arby's, and they had this new Arby's "burger." I cannot tell you how much I wanted to try it. Even more difficult: Chick-Fil-A. I ALWAYS want Chick-Fil-A, but lately my cravings have hit astronomical levels. I tried telling myself that if I go in and sit down it's not fast food, but in my heart I know it would be. This one may kill me yet.

1 comment:

_nezemnaya_ said...

Well, you are doing much better than I am.
I went from eating properly to not eating at all - while trying to give up meat.
SO now I am cranky and shaky, but still too lazy too cook myself a separate meal - so I just drink tea and shake ))