Thursday, March 12, 2009

Facebook saves the Day....or does it?

Last night I was on my way to the library (itself a post that will probably never get written) when I suddenly remembered that today was the planned Julianne Moore List. I had not mentioned it to A.B. in weeks, and I was afraid that by the time I got home she would be unavailable.

I happened to have a borrowed cell phone on me. I called (from Georgia) out to Bear, working in Seattle. (He was my first choice because he's reliable, and because it was 7:00 my time, and he was the only one I could think of who might still be at work.)

I explained to Bear what I needed him to do. "Go to Facebook. Go to me. Look up my Friends. Go to A.B." (Bear doesn't know her.) "Message A.B. that I'm away from a computer but tomorrow is the Julianne Moore post, and I should be home about 8:30, so she shouldn't make plans."

This is more or less what I said. You know, I'm hot and I'm tired and stressed; I can't remember word for word.

Well, THIS is the forwarded Message A.B. sent me later. This is what my "friend" Bear sent:


I'm writing this message for Hyperion. He says that he is away from a computer until 8:30 p.m. Eastern, but he just remembered that tomorrow is the Julianne Moore post, so he wanted to remind you that, in case you had other plans like going out whoring (his words, not mine!).


I tell you the truth: there is no honor in the world. Bear's just lucky he's clear across the country.....



(On the plus side, is Facebook taking over the world or what? I've been working on a huge series of columns about this, but I never have time to finish it, because I'm always on Facebook!)

No comments: