Monday, December 08, 2008

Fantasy Football Update - Playoff Chances



I haven't been updating my Fantasy Football team's fortunes like I did in previous years.

Partly this was due to my feeling that my season basically ended 8 minutes into the first game, when Tom Brady went down for the year.

I lost the first two games by a combined 90.8 points, which has to be some sort of record. I resigned myself to a terrible season.

Then, somehow, most improbably, I managed to win the next five games. You'd think I would be flying high, but I was more embarrassed than anything. A couple of the wins were well earned, but several of them were just plain lucky. Either there was some fluke play, or my opponent happened to sit the wrong person, or I happened to play the lowest scoring team that week. Against any other team I would have lost, but luck....

Last year I was so damn good in the regular season. I didn't just set, but I smashed the regular Season scoring record, as well as the point differential record between my team and second place.

When the playoffs went so badly, it tainted the great season, but still, I did have that. My victories were awe-inspiring, and 5 times in a row (and 7 times overall), I was the league's highest scorer.

This year? I haven't been the high scorer once.

Anyway, my gaudy 5-2 record didn't last, and I lost a couple of games "unluckily". Still, I managed to get to 7 - 4, in great shape to win my division and make the playoffs.

Then, I lost two straight games. However, the other teams in my league were losing too. It's like nobody wanted to win the division.

The bottom line is, I stand at 7-6. My two closest division competitors each 6-7, and playing each other this week. One of them is going to win, making them 7-7. I lose all manor of tie-breakers.

Which means, simply, I have to win. Win, and I win the division. Lose, and I get nothing.

Somehow, my little rag-tag misfits have a shot. Savage Tribe of Ice Whores actually have a shot!

Here's the Sitch:

All my players finished yesterday. Getting a little bit here and there from most of my players, I put up 94 points. My opponent (The Meme-ster's Union) has 69.8, meaning he needs 24.3 to beat me.

Meme-ster has one player left tonight: DeAngelo Williams, a Running Back. 24.3 points is a lot to score, but Williams has scored more than that twice this season, including last week, when he had 29.6

Williams has his high-scoring games at home, which he is this week.

So, it's all set up for me to lose once again. Still, I have a shot.

If any of you pray to small "g" gods, and want to say a prayer that DeAngelo Williams has a fumble or two, that'd be great.

Actually, a pretty good shot.

No comments: